Monday, April 07, 2014

Hour-a-Day April: Days Five and Six

Day Five: Jeremy's grandparents are visiting his parents right now, so we spent the morning/afternoon there. Then we came home and I just barely had time to pull together dinner and outfits for the Girl Scout Daddy Daughter dance. No HADA projects accomplished, so I'm calling this my day off for the week. But look how cute she is, wearing one of the flower girl dresses from our wedding (12 years ago!)

Day Six: Church in the morning, followed by a church potluck, followed by an hour of mandatory nap/quiet time for everyone in the family. All wonderful/necessary things, but it didn't leave a lot of time for HADA. But I found some motivation somewhere to tackle the kitchen. Ugh, the kitchen. So backlogged, so depressing. I did manage to completely clean off the table, and ran a dishwasher load, and filled the dish drainer at least twice. I swept the floor, too. And I brought the bar fridge up from the basement, cleaned it off, and set it up beside the regular fridge to use as a prepared breakfast/lunch fridge. Then I pulled the 13 pounds of chicken I got on sale out of the fridge, and divided them up into smaller packages of strips and chunks to freeze and use later. I made fajitas for dinner, which is not what was on the menu for the night, but it was the easiest thing to do simultaneously while I was prepping the chicken. The fajitas were actually a big hit with the kids. Yay!

I didn't feel like any of that really counted towards my hour, though, since it was all daily upkeep that I just happen to be way behind on. Actually, I take that back. Moving the bar fridge totally counted. But it didn't take an hour. So I asked myself, "What things should I do now, that I normally would just leave until later, because I feel like I already did enough today?" The first thing that came to mind was cleaning the table. When I have to clean the table before dinner, I find it extra hard to motivate myself to clean it again an hour later, after dinner. So I cleaned the table. And while I was putting away the leftovers, I made Jer a lunch (which I don't do as often as I would like). Then, since I was on a lunch-roll, I made Valerie's lunch (which I usually scramble to make while she's eating breakfast in the morning). Then, for good measure, I started a load of laundry. Still not sure if I had managed to get in an hour (you know that "set a timer" thing I said to do? I never remember to do it), I started working on my prep/shopping list for Passover. I think that brought me up to at least an hour. Especially if I count some of the kitchen cleaning or chicken prep. I had more things that I wanted to do, but my motivation was spent, so I just went to bed early. It seemed like the best use of my time.

Six days down, 24 to go!

1 comment:

Trisha Davis said...

I think the mandatory 1 hr. nap should totally count for HADA :D