Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Hour-a-Day April: Day Nine

This morning was my "Play and Pray" mom's group, which left me refreshed and socially recharged, but with only half a day left to squeeze in my HADA. (Aside: I got to spend time with three different local friends within the past 24 hours. Not too long ago, I wouldn't see three friends outside of church for a month. It always seems to be feast or famine for me, socially. I'm enjoying the feast, though.)

After we came home and had lunch, I found myself really struggling to find any motivation to do anything. I finally rallied myself to tidy up the living room, and literally 30 seconds later, John Wallace woke up from his nap. Frustrated and unmotivated, I decided that I would get myself through today by: a) avoiding the kitchen entirely (we have several meals worth of leftovers in the fridge, and my dishpan hands are starting to crack and bleed), and b) focusing all of my efforts on getting the living room floor totally clean, just this once, so I can sit on the couch and not feel the stress of the clutter. Somehow, I managed. It took all day, but my living room floor is totally clean. And the girls are in bed, now, so it should theoretically stay that way until morning.

But my big project today wasn't on any list. Valerie has been complaining lately that we get into bed with Dorothy to tuck her in, but we don't get into bed with her. I tried to explain that it's the trade-off for getting to sleep on the top bunk, but she remained unconvinced and told me she didn't want to sleep on the top bunk any more. So, I spent about 2.5 hours today cleaning and rearranging the girls' room, and un-bunking their beds. I don't think I've ever seen two kids so happy and excited to not have bunk beds. Oh well, change is good for the soul.

I couldn't really afford a kitchen-free day, and there is meat in the fridge calling my name and demanding to be prepped, but I'm glad I did it, because it felt good to do something else, and maybe give my dry, cracked hands a chance to heal. I'll definitely be paying for it tomorrow, though. Oh, and I will also definitely be paying for the near-whiplash I have in my neck from when I was disassembling the beds, and Dorothy knocked the mattress over onto my head. Ouch. On the bright side, I don't have a doctor's appointment tomorrow like I thought I did (turns out it was Tuesday, and I missed it - oops), so I will have more cleaning time than I thought I would. I hope I can make some of it count...

Nine days down, 21 to go. Wow, this month is flying!

No comments: