Friday, March 24, 2006

Resisting the urge to make a bad pun using the word "scents"

I love smelling like coffee. Once upon a time, I worked at BeaverTails in Ottawa, and although I loved the pastries we created, I absolutely hated coming home smelling like grease after every shift. It was a nasty smell, and I always wanted to shower right away and seal my work clothes in an air tight bag inside my hamper.

But the coffee smell - it's like perfume. They could totally bottle it. "Eau de sitting in a coffee shop all day." It takes me back to my high school days, when we were too young to go to bars so my friends and I spent a lot of time in coffee shops. Later on, my boyfriend actually worked at Starbucks, so I spent a large proportion of my coffee-shop hanging-out in his store, watching him make drinks. And I would always come home smelling like fresh-brewed coffee, and it would make me happy. The only thing better was when we would hang out a Nickelby's, who roasted their own beans in the store, and come home smelling like fresh-roasted beans. I was sad when I found out that Nickelby's closed. I spent many a long hour there, playing card games or chess, torturing my opponent's captured pieces until they revealed the king's location.

Jeremy likes it, too. I seem to get more hugs when I smell like coffee, and that is something you will never hear me complain about. And it drives the puppy nuts - he just can't stop sniffing me after I get home. I wonder if other people's dogs like coffee? Sometimes, when he's been really nice, I let Reggie finish the last few drops of my coffee, and he laps it up like I was giving him a treat straight from heaven. I try not to give him too much though, because I don't want to see an already jittery little dog high on caffeine.

That reminds me of a Far Side cartoon I remember reading. I wonder if I will be able to find it? Yep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great cartoon - and it even looks like Reggie. :)

Sarah said...

BeaverTails and Far Side cartoons all in one blog...I'm absolutely delighted!

Kelsey Catherine said...

mmm...one great thing about ottawa in the winter...beaver tails. Thank heavens i'm back at u of o for that!! Speaking of coffee shops...sarah and I are opening a coffee/bookstore...you can sit and smell all day if you'd like

Christine said...

My dog loves the smell of coffee. When I use the grinder in the morning he comes racing into the kitchen because I let him sniff the grounds before I make my coffee.