Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Two-Fer

I celebrated the fifth anniversary of 9/11 by refusing to live in fear.

I drove down to Washington D.C. to help a blogger friend move up to Princeton. We had a great time together, which she blogged about before I got home, so I will let you read what she wrote.

I put on a dress and went to Center City Philadelphia for Restaurant Week, where I had dinner with a friend at a fancy French restaurant, and ate incredible food, including the Best Crème Brulée Ever™.

I enjoyed my life today. That's my tribute.




Cause and Effect - A Bonus Post

Because I couldn't find my Scrabble letters, I went exploring in a closet I had ignored for a long time and found my reserve deck of blank white cards.

Because I had recently found my blank white cards, I played it last weekend when I had friends over.

Because my friends had loved the game so much, I posted the instructions for the game on my blog.

Because I had posted about a game, Scott tagged me for the word association game.

Because I wanted to tag Kate for the word association game, I went to my bloglines account to get her blog address and found out that her blog had somehow fallen off my blogroll when she upgraded to Blogger Beta (Boo!).

Because I was catching up on the entries I had missed on Kate's blog, I discovered that she needed help moving on the exact same day that I had off of work this week.

Because I was driving to Washington D.C. in the middle of the night, I discovered the Greatest Radio Station Ever™ somewhere around Baltimore.

Because I was listening to a unique and interesting radio station, I heard a fantastic new song that I had never heard before. It was a simple song with clever lyrics, a catchy tune, and artfully complicated vocals. I listened to the radio station for another 45 minutes until it was nothing but static, but they never back-announced the song, so I didn't find out who was singing it.

Because this new song was running through my head all day, I googled the lyrics that I could remember: "I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair." I quickly found the song, which is titled, fortunately, "I wish I was a punk rocker (with flowers in my hair)". The artist is Sandi Thom, and I before you read anymore of this post, go to her website and listen to the free, one-minute clip of the song, or watch the music video over on YouTube.

Because I was exploring the website of a cool new artist I had never heard of before, I went to her bio page to get an idea of who she is. There I discovered the most incredible story of an overnight success that was years in the making. You should read the whole story yourself, but basically, she got sick of touring and decided to offer 21 free webcam concerts out of her basement. 70 people tuned in for the first concert, but by the second week, her audience had grown to 70,000, including several record execs who had gotten wind of her talent. She ended up signing a recording contract, fittingly, live on her webcam.

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's pretty good.

Anonymous said...

That's odd. This summer I was helping a friend move from Buffalo to Ithaca and we stopped in a local bookstore. The cd demo of that song was on the Free Table and so we snagged it. This leads me to conclude that in the grand soundtrack to Life, that song is the official background music to the scene in which friends help each other move. If you were unaware that Life had a soundtrack it is likely because of an age-old cover-up conspiracy involving The Vatican, The Templars, Oprah, and Mr. Rogers.

timollie said...

I loooove restaurant weeks!
Tim and I have made it out for every single one - the center city, university city, and south street versions :)
Tonight we're going to Farmicia, followed by a 'pay what you can' showing of A Prayer for Owen Meany at the Arden theatre (wanna join us for the show?)

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

you rock, Jule Ann