Thursday, January 14, 2010

Consignment Sales!

I've always been a thrifty shopper, and I have become even more of one since I became a mom, because babies outgrow clothing so quickly. There have been occasions that, by the time I get the tags off of a new outfit and wash it for Valerie to wear, it's already too small for her. Which is why I have absolutely fallen in love with the semi-annual consignment sales. Every spring and fall, dozens of local mommy groups organize consignment sales, where you can buy barely used baby clothes for a fraction of the price of new. And, because I am a computer geek, every spring and fall, I compile a chronological list of all the local consignment sales, so I can plan my weekends around the sales. I've never made it to all of them, but I like having my list "just in case". And, since I already have my list all typed up in html format, I decided to share it with the world. (Although it will really only be useful to that part of the world which happens to occupy my little corner of Montgomery County, PA.)

Some tips:
  • If you can only make it to one sale, go to the Cozy Tots one. It's huge.

  • If possible, leave the kids at home. It can get chaotic at some of the sales, and you'll want both hands free. (Also bear in mind that a lot of the sales don't allow strollers.)

  • Double check beforehand if they take credit cards - some sales do, and some sales don't. Bring enough cash for what you think you might buy, plus a little extra. You just never know what you might find.

  • Make a list. I know it sounds obvious, but I can speak from experience, when I don't have a list, I forget things. Make sure to put any bigger items you might be in the market for on the list, too. You'll save a lot by getting a used stroller or exersaucer.

  • Look for "new in package" items that you can set aside as Christmas/birthday gifts. No one has to know you didn't pay full price.

  • Unless something really awesome jumps out at you, only buy clothes in the next size or two and/or for the next two seasons. There will be another sale in six months.

  • Get there early. Things get picked over pretty quickly.

  • Alternatively, wait until the end of the sale, and get huge discounts. (Most sales have half price days at the end of the sale - check the individual websites for details.)

  • Volunteer or consign some items of your own, and you'll usually get to shop before the general public, giving you first dibs on the best stuff.

  • Be picky! There's a lot to choose from, especially if you go to plenty of sales. If you're not sold on something, pass it over, there will be something else that grabs you.


And, without further ado, here is the list!
(I will come back and add sales and dates as they get announced. Please let me know if there is a sale I should have on my list!)

Local Consignment Sales - Spring 2010

As Kids Grow
February 26-28
Langhorne, PA

Cozy Tots
March 5-7
Bryn Athyn, PA

L'il Angels
March 6-7
Bensalem, PA

Chester County MOMs
March 13
Exton, PA

St. Luke's UCC MOPS
March 12-13
Trappe, PA

Just 4 Kids
March 12-14
Maple Shade, NJ

The Clothing Tree
March 12-16
Richlandtown, PA

Kool Kids
March 12-14
Feasterville, PA

Best Dressed for Less
March 19-21
Burlington, NJ

Branch Creek MOPS
March 20
Harleysville, PA

Just Kids Stuff Yard Sale
March 20
Eagleville, PA

Spring-Ford Area School District March of Dimes Consignment Sale
March 20
Royersford, PA

Bitty Bee's
March 20-21
Kimberton, PA

Treasured Twice
March 20-21
Norristown, PA

Smart Moms Sale
March 20-21
Eagleville, PA

Simply Kids
March 26-27
Pottstown, PA

Mommy Market
March 27
Calvary Church, Souderton, PA

Just Between Friends - West Chester
April 9-11
Glen Mills, PA

Bucks-Mont MOMs
April 10
Lansdale, PA

Kids Kloset Swap
April 10-11
Doylestown, PA

Just Between Friends - Western Mainline
April 15-18
Oaks, PA

Spring Chicken Sale
April 16-17
Havertown, PA

Valley Forge MOTTC
April 17
Oaks, PA

Mainline MOMs
April 17
Springfield, PA

Just Between Friends - Reading
April 29-May 2
Reading, PA

Kids Weecycle
May 1
East Norriton, PA

3 comments:

Mama's Little Helper said...

Awesome List Chick!
Thanks :D

Meghan said...

Thanks for a great list! I am all about the sales, too and try to keep up with which one is when. One that I did not see is the Children's Everything Sale at Hopewell Christian Preschool in Guthriesville. It is on Saturday, 3/20, from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
I've gotten lots of great stuff at this sale and it does get crazy there.
Thanks again for a great list!

Anonymous said...

This was a great list of sales, please do one again for the fall and next year!