Friday, April 01, 2016

Hour-a-Day April 2016: Day One

I picked one project to tackle today. One, simple, little project: gluing the base plates onto the girls' Lego tables. I didn't do it.

The good news is, I didn't do it because I did so much else!

You know when you want to do something, but you can't really do it until you do that other thing, and really, you should probably do that other other thing before that, and it would be much more efficient if that other other other thing was done, too? I call those things the "but firsts". I had a lot of "but firsts" for the Lego table project.

First, I needed to clean the kids' room, which is the current home of the Lego collection. I did that. I actually made the kids help, too. Bonus points for that. I got my hour in there alone. Unfortunately, I didn't finish that task, either, because I got side-tracked by the bathtub crayons on the tub walls.

I decided to try a little experiment. Three different substances that the Internet seemed to think might help get the old, dried-on crayon off the tub walls: cooking spray, shaving cream, and WD-40. I labeled three sections of the tub walls and treated each section with its respective substance.

Then I left that to sit while I did something else. I don't even remember what anymore. I was all over the place today.

I went to the store to get some supplies for some trophies I was making for a Girl Scout event tonight. It was a recycling-themed carnival and the trophies were made out of plastic bottles cut into goblet shapes and spray-painted gold. They actually turned out really cool, but I totally forgot to take a picture. Darn it. I made cardboard gold medals, too. And spray-painted the chest of drawers I had made out of cookie cases. And did some boring paperwork stuff. And made a trip to the bank to deposit cookie money. And did some weeding. And paid the rent. And dug up some baby strawberry plants to give to a friend. And took a shower. And did some reading. Wait, was this really all today? No wonder I'm tired and slightly incoherent right now.

Oh yeah, the bathtub walls. The cooking spray did nothing, the shaving cream worked pretty well, but the WD-40 was even better. Is there anything WD-40 can't do? Since it worked so well, I went ahead and finished scrubbing the bathtub walls.

Somewhere in there, I made lunch and dinner, too, and attended the Cardboard Carnival (which was awesome).

A pretty good start to this year's HADA, I think! I'm not even going to pretend I will keep up this momentum. Today was exhausting. Maybe I can get to those Lego tables tomorrow, though...

No comments: